By WILL WEISSERT, STEVE PEOPLES, and ADRIANA GOMEZ LICON
Updated 8:49 AM GMT+6, September 18, 2024
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Former President Donald Trump held his first public event on Tuesday since the second apparent assassination attempt against him on Sunday, addressing a crowd in Flint, Michigan, where supporters chanted “God bless Trump!” and “Fight, Fight, Fight!” with U.S. Secret Service agents standing guard.
“It’s been a great experience,” said Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, during an evening town hall. He characterized running for president as “a dangerous business,” likening it to car racing or bull riding, and asserted, “Only consequential presidents get shot at.”
Earlier in the day, Vice President Kamala Harris maintained a measured tone in a rare interview with Black journalists, notably refraining from mentioning Trump by name. This stood in stark contrast to Trump’s confrontational style, especially as he faced boos when he referred to Harris during his speech.
The two candidates briefly set aside their differences during a phone call, which Trump described as “very, very nice.” However, Harris emphasized, “there’s no place for political violence in our country,” reflecting a cautious approach following the recent events.
Both campaigns are ramping up efforts as they head into a critical stretch leading to the election, despite the chaos surrounding Trump’s safety. Following the incident at his Florida golf course, Trump has reiterated threats against election workers and donors, vowing that “those involved in unscrupulous behavior will be sought out and prosecuted.”
The Flint town hall focused on the auto industry, with Trump warning that Democrats would undermine American manufacturing in favor of electric vehicles. He also made unfounded claims about Chinese automakers setting up factories in Mexico to flood the U.S. market.
Harris, meanwhile, is planning stops in Washington, Michigan, and Wisconsin, with both candidates concentrating their efforts in key swing states.
During her interview, Harris addressed concerns about waning support among Black male voters, stating that she isn’t assuming their support simply because of her race. She avoided a direct answer regarding reparations, which President Biden has expressed a willingness to explore.
Despite the tension surrounding the latest assassination attempt, both Biden and Harris have refrained from engaging in the political blame game, condemning violence in all forms. Biden has called for increased funding for the Secret Service in light of the recent threats.
Trump, however, has blamed the Democrats for inciting violence against him, claiming their rhetoric has “made the bullets fly.” He linked the threats against him to what he perceives as a dangerous political climate fostered by his opponents.
Authorities reported that Ryan Wesley Routh, who camped outside Trump’s golf course with a rifle, fled the scene without firing shots after being spotted by a Secret Service agent.
Trump’s running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance, highlighted the disparity in threats faced by the candidates, stating, “No one has tried to kill Kamala Harris in the last couple of months, and two people now have tried to kill Donald Trump.”
In response to the growing concern over political violence, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre emphasized the need for accountability regarding incendiary rhetoric, reiterating that it is dangerous when leaders use such language.
Attendee Dan Curry expressed worry over potential violence against Trump, suggesting that these incidents may ultimately galvanize support for him among his base.
“We don’t see us going after them,” he said, “and this energizes his base. How could it not?”
Weissert reported from Washington, and Gomez Licon reported from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Associated Press writers contributed from various locations.
0 Comments