Yanks' Cortes: 'I Couldn't Get the Job Done' in World Series Game 1

 


LOS ANGELES -- In the 10th inning of Game 1 of the World Series on Friday night, New York Yankees relievers Nestor Cortes and Tim Hill found themselves in the visitors' bullpen at Dodger Stadium, waiting for a signal from manager Aaron Boone. The tension was palpable as they prepared to face Shohei Ohtani, one of the most formidable left-handed hitters in baseball, with the Yankees clinging to a one-run lead over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Both left-handers were warming up simultaneously, but only one would be called upon to face Ohtani and the hitters that followed. Finally, Boone chose Cortes, who had not pitched in 37 days due to a flexor strain.

The situation was critical, and the stakes were high.

Cortes quickly retired Ohtani with just one pitch, putting the Yankees within one out of securing a victory. However, disaster struck as Freddie Freeman launched the next pitch into the right-field pavilion for a walk-off grand slam, sealing a 6-3 win for the Dodgers.

Boone later explained his decision to go with Cortes, stating, “The reality is he's been throwing the ball really well the last few weeks as he’s gotten ready for this.” He felt Cortes matched up better against Ohtani compared to Hill, who typically induces ground balls, especially given Ohtani’s speed on the basepaths.

Cortes managed to retire Ohtani thanks to a spectacular catch by Alex Verdugo, who crashed into the short wall along the left-field line. However, because Verdugo fell into an out-of-play area, the runners advanced to second and third, leaving first base open.

In a strategic move, Boone chose to intentionally walk Mookie Betts to load the bases, setting up a lefty-on-lefty matchup against Freeman. Betts commented on the decision, saying, "Yes and no. It makes sense. I was ready to go either way, but I definitely understand."

Freeman stepped up to the plate with a solid history against Cortes, having gone 1-for-3 with a double against him earlier in the season. When he saw a fastball at 92 mph down and in, he seized the opportunity. “I looked at it as soon as I came in. I got to the inside of the plate, but it just wasn't high enough,” Cortes reflected.

This outing marked Cortes' first appearance since September 18, when he pitched six scoreless innings. After being sidelined due to injury, he underwent a platelet-rich plasma injection and was uncertain about his future. His return to the postseason hinged on the Yankees making a deep run in October, and they delivered by winning the American League pennant.


After a successful live bullpen session earlier in the week, Cortes was included on the World Series roster, fully aware of the risks involved. He understood that pushing himself could jeopardize his career, especially with free agency approaching.

“I told them from the beginning that I didn’t want to be on this roster just because it’s the World Series. I want to contribute and make sure I’m giving my best,” Cortes said before the game.

While warming up, he felt surprisingly good, with his fastball velocity improving to 90 mph, fueled by adrenaline and anticipation. Yet, despite his preparation and determination, the outcome was disappointing.

“Just sucks,” Cortes admitted. “I couldn’t come through for the guys. I know everyone’s focused on Ohtani, but Freeman is also a really good hitter. I just couldn't get the job done today.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments